St. Joseph Shrine Panagudi, Tirunelveli, Tamilnadu, India


The St. Joseph Shrine of Panagudi falls under the Diocese of Tuticorin in Tamil Nadu. With around 850 families, it serves as a Catholic parish in the region. Numerous individuals from southern Tamil Nadu undertake pilgrimages to this revered shrine of St. Joseph. Many have reported miraculous cures and continue to believe in the potential for further blessings. Notably, the St. Joseph Shrine in Panagudi holds the distinction of being the first shrine dedicated to St. Joseph in the area.

During the 1870s, Fr. Gregory purchased 5 acres of land and erected a small Church dedicated to St. Joseph. This church underwent renovations from 1891 to 1892 and was affiliated with the Kaavalkinaru parish during that period. In 1938, the Brothers of the Sacred Heart initiated a school in Panagudi. Notably, Panagudi gained autonomy as an independent Parish on 24 December 1939, with Fr. Soosainather appointed as its inaugural parish priest. Under his leadership, the Parish Priest’s House was constructed. Additionally, in 1945, a convent for the Sisters of Servites of Mary was established under the guidance of Fr. Devota.

In 1947, Fr. Remigius erected a 36-foot stone pillar for flag hoisting. Following this, in 1954, Fr. Xavier established the Legion of Mary. Then, in 1962, Fr. Lourdhumani crafted a decorative car for Saint Joseph. During Fr. Devasagayam Fernando’s tenure from 1969 to 1972, the Welfare Association of Saint Joseph was formed. Subsequently, under Fr. Sengolmani’s leadership from 1972 to 1981, the current church was constructed and consecrated by Bishop of Tuticorin, Rev. Amalanather. In 1990, Fr. Paneerselvam erected the grotto of Our Lady of Velankanni, coinciding with the commencement of an English medium school in Panagudi by the Sisters of St. Anne.

In 1995, Fr. Devasagayam erected the statue of the Sacred Heart at the pinnacle of the Church tower and also constructed a stage named Valanaar Kalaiyarangam. Then, in 2001, Fr. John Bosco commemorated the Silver Jubilee of the church. On 5 December 2001, under the leadership of Fr. Isidore as the parish priest, Saint Joseph church was granted Shrine status. Currently, Fr. Thomas serves as the Parish Priest.

Saint Joseph holds the esteemed position of Patron saint among the parishioners of Panagudi Shrine. Referred to as ‘Punitha Soosaiyappar’ and ‘Valanaar’ in Tamil, he is revered as the foster father of Jesus Christ and the spouse of the Virgin Mary. Descended from the lineage of King David of Israel, he was a skilled carpenter known for crafting various wooden articles. As the head of the Holy Family, Saint Joseph is revered as the Patron of the Universal Church, embodying virtues such as Chastity, Education, Workers, Marriage, Families, and facilitating a Peaceful Death.

Annual Feast Day

Feast Date :From 22 April to 1 May

The Annual Feast Day of the St. Joseph Shrine, Panagudi is Celebrated  From 22 April to 1 May every year.

Mass Timing

Weekly Masses

Monday to Friday : 5.30 a.m, 6.30 p.m.

Weekend Masses

Saturday : 5.30 a.m, 6.30 p.m.

Sundays : 5 a.m. & 6.45 a.m.

Contact Info

St. Joseph Shrine,
South Main Road,
Thirunelveli District,

Phone No.

Phone: 04637-245224




The nearest major airport to St. Joseph Shrine, Panagudi is Madurai Airport. which is 122  km away from the Shrine.


The nearest Railway Station to the St. Joseph Shrine, Panagudi is Valliyur Railway Station. which is 9.7 km away from the Shrine.

error: Content is protected !!